Attending the Interview
1. Arrive in good time. The interview panel may be interviewing a lot of candidates so do not keep them waiting.
2. Dress appropriately. Some organisations, especially technology companies, have a very casual dress code but, for most, a suit will be appropriate interview wear. Remember that you are being judged on the appearance that you present.
3. Act appropriately, which usually means following the interviewer’s lead. If you are offered a hand to shake, then shake it, but don’t offer your own hand if nobody else seems interested.
4. Engage with the interviewers. Smile, make eye contact, and build rapport.
5. Answer the questions that are asked, using relevant examples where at all possible.
1. Be afraid to blow your own trumpet a bit. After all, nobody else is going to blow it for you; however do not lie or exaggerate. If you want the job, be enthusiastic and positive.
2. Be over-familiar or share too much information. For example, the interviewers don’t want to know how you’re going to manage your childcare.